Sign from the Universe

Sign from the Universe

Monday, May 25, 2009

Brushes With Fame

Here's my list of all my brushes with fame since I started coming to L.A.:

Gary Cole - T.V. actor (not to be confused with Gary Coleman, from Different Strokes, "whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis"), also from the movie "Office Space". "Ummm, yeah, about those TPS reports..." At LAX when I flew in for Laurie and Henry's wedding.

Emily Deschannel - actor from the Fox show "Bones". At The Wine House buying wine for my brother Judd. Stood behind her in line. She had a very cool outfit on but I remember feeling a little relieved that she had a blemish on her chin. Proof that celebrities aren't perfect after all.

Andy Garcia - actor ("Godfather Part III", "Ocean's 11,12 and 13", "When a Man Loves a Woman"). At Roy's Hawaiian Fusion restaurant downtown. He and his party had a large booth; I have never seen so many wine glasses at one table before.

Weird Al Yankovic - singer/comedian ("My Bologna", "Eat It"). At the Chicago Art Museum. Fearless Hero and I were playing Celebrity Look Alike while sitting in my favorite gallery with the Georgia O'Keefe paintings. When I saw him and he turned out to actually be the famous person I thought he looked like I became the Celebrity Look Alike grand champion of all time.

Michael Nouri - actor (the film "Flashdance", T.V. series "The O.C."). At an Academy Screening. He is tall and all the people he was with were tall too. I wonder if it's a prerequisite to be his friend.

Two actors from the half hour CBS soap opera "The Bold and the Beautiful." They were the power couple at the time and when I spotted them having lunch at the Farmer's Market at the Grove in the Fairfax district I thought they might be a couple off screen too. Since the soap is set in California I watch it as purely as research and have found it's realistic portrayal of life in L.A. very helpful in understanding the natives here (insert sarcasm here).

Omar Epps - actor (Fox series "House"). Fearless Hero and I were leaving the lot one night. The windows were rolled down in his truck and as we turned the corner down the fake buildings and storefronts he suddenly exclaimed, "Look, there's Omar Epps!" Which, of course, he heard. Instead of being embarrassed I guess I should thank Fearless Hero for upgrading what would otherwise have been a simple celebrity sighting to getting eye contact and a smile from a handsome celebrity.

Jack Nicholson, Dyan Cannon, Brian Grazer, Don Rickles, Kareem Abdul Jabbar - all at the Laker's game that we attended. I remember sending Judd a text of how excited I was to be in the same room as Jack.

Sun Yue - Laker's player. At the Ralph's grocery store near our house. The Laker's practice facility is only a mile or two away from where we live. This makes Fearless Hero very happy.

Stephen Cannell - producer (the A-Team, 21 Jump Street, Rockford Files) and author. At the L.A. Times Book Festival.

Andrew Dice Clay - comedian. On the plane coming back to L.A last month. He had had a show in Milwaukee the night before. And he looked it. I didn't realize who it was, even after standing directly behind him on the plane and watching him for three minutes situate all his stuff before he sat down, until my seatmate was on the phone talking about it.

Add your comments and share your brush with celebrity story.

Ok, traffic, earthquakes and celebrities - my work is done.

2 comments:

Tara said...

You had me at Omar Epps! He is so beautiful!!

My brush with fame was the first flight I was on after 9/11 going from Phoenix to somewhere I don't remember. Henry Winkler was in first class, and he was SHORT! I remember being strangely more secure being on the plane knowing that if anything were to happen, that the Fonz would help save us! :)

Oh, and the woman from the Matrix that Laurie and I saw at the Starbucks on MB Blvd. Can't remember her name. Brunette, beautiful, happy little family.

I love your blog!!

And I love you too!

Unknown said...

Since I work on a movie studio lot is it fair to mention my celebrity sightings??

I've almost been run over a few times by celebrities:
Forest Whitaker in a big suv while I was in a golf cart
Steven Spielberg in a fancy car while I was on foot
Jenna Elfman on a scooter while I was on foot.

On a Halloween eve I had my way blocked by Tom Cruise dressed in a cape of some kind and Penelope Cruz dressed like a 40's flapper.

And at the lot food truck Brendan Frasier was buying food which was wierd since his production should have had their own catering truck.

But to be fair, a couple of off lot brushes I can remember include Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones in Las Vegas, Andrew Bynum (he's one tall dude!) at the Apple Store in Manhattan Beach, and Magic Johnson at Six Flags.